Each step I made a decision as to what the quilting design would be, not planned ahead. So far I am quite pleased. I was planning on zigging every other block in the grid, but realized somewhere along the way the grid was not equal on each side. Any additional stitching would only highlighted that the grid was off center.
There are 2 layers of Warm and Soft batting which gives the star a trapunto effect. I used my hopping/darning foot to free motion quilt the feathers. This is the foot I have been using for years to free motion quilting.
In the latest issue of APQS magazine I was reading about a free motion quilting foot that fits a Janome. I had not idea that there was such a thing. And of course I went web exploring and found it on Amazon, one that would fit my low-shank Janome. So I found it, bought it and received it in 2 days! I only experimented with it but I can't wait to use it on the borders of the pictured Carpenter Star Wall Hanging. Actually I am naming it my Christmas Carpenter Star Wreath.
Since I was using my hopping foot I used monofilament thread so the stitching
didn't show too much. Oh I should say so my imperfections didn't shine.
The center of the star with the grid work is done in gold metallic thread. I am thinking about using it in the red border as well but not sure about the design yet. Remember I said no planning, just designing as I go along.
My new toys! Can't wait to try them out! The far right is a 1/4 ruler foot and a small open toe foot. Now I will have to see what I can find in free motion quilting rulers.
Linking up at: